Arctic Cat had been in decline for a few years when a new CEO was hired to turn it around. His goal was to shift a stale internal culture to one of that take risks and raises the bar. The ultimate goal was to create a road map and activation plan to evolve the current Arctic Cat internal brand and culture by using the leadership goals and Strategic Plan as guiding compass.
Arctic Cat sales have been in decline for a few years. Manufacturing staff were feeling isolated and ignored by the leadership. Many managers have been at the company for years and carry institutional knowledge but also cynicism. The organization is fragmented because of product line divisions and geographical locations. A new CEO with his leadership team was brought in to reinvigorate the company.
Throughout the organization, employees were worn down and distrustful of corporate secrecy. There were major cultural differences within the organization caused by location isolation, manufacturing/management chasms, and rank-and-file differences. The technology system to deliver employee communication and engagement was non-existent. HR technology was obsolete and inefficient.
Define and design an internal brand that shifts the culture and engages employees. Create a road map and implement an activation plan to evolve the current Arctic Cat internal brand and culture by using the leadership goals and Strategic Plan as guiding compass. Initiatives were:
• talent brand identity and standards
• secure, Internet-based employee portal designed mobile-first with the intention of creating a dialogue while making HR operations simple and engaging
• internal communications mechanism including a printed and digital employee magazine
• consistent on-boarding initiative
• internal ambassador program
• a cross-division, developmental collaboration methodology
• an Innovation Center and Knowledge Library
85% of employees actively engaged through the employee portal with initiatives passed along to Arctic Cat’s new owners, Textron, to implement once the transition was completed.